Sunday, September 04, 2005

Katrina - Part IV - Planning?

I like surprises. The genuine surprises that you could not have seen coming. Sometimes pregancy, a pair of friends becomes a couple, the New England Patriots win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years.
I don't like surprises that are not surprising. Katrina, unfortunately is the most grizzly example of this I have ever seen.
The Times-Picayune dedicated a forest of column inches to the topic of the big hurricane a couple of years. The simulation they did, along with the LSU Hurricane Centre, essentially lined up, blow for blow what has happened this week in New Orleans. This entire situation was distressingly predictable.
As I noted in Part II of the Katrina series, I hope that Canada takes a lesson from this to realize that the crossing of fingers does not constitute an emergency plan. I hope that the US learns hiring a political hack to be at the center of command and control functions at FEMA is a bad idea. I hope that someting remotely good can come of this maelstrom of the utterly bad.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?